Lentils with Smoked Tofu and Plums
We really enjoyed this meal tonight with boiled potatoes. It’s a very nice savory way to enjoy plums. It is a hearty, filling meal that is full of wonderful flavors.
Serving Size: 4
- 1 cup de Puy or brown lentils
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 cups water
- 1 vegetable bouillon cube
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 small bunch parsley, chopped
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 lb. smoked tofu pieces or faken bacon pieces
- 1 tablespoon oil to fry the tofu pieces
- 1 lb. of plums
- 1 tablespoon vegan margarine
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 teaspoons sugar
- potatoes for 4 people
Begin to boil the potatoes so that they are ready at the same time as the lentils.
to prepare the lentils:
- Heat the oil in a soup pot.
- Add the onions and saute until they become glassy.
- Add the lentils, garlic, parsley, water and vegetable bouillon cube.
- Bring the lentils to a boil, then turn the heat down to a soft boil.
- Add the balsamic vinegar and tomato paste.
- Cook the lentils until they become soft, but not mushy, about 20 minutes.
to prepare the plums:
- Meanwhile, cut the plums in half and remove the stone.
- Slice the plums in eighths into a bowl.
- Sprinkle the plums with the sugar and cinnamon.
- Heat the vegan margarine in a frying pan.
- Add the plums and lightly saute to caramelize them, but not so much that they loose their shape.
to prepare the tofu
- Heat oil in a separate pan
- Warm the tofu pieces.
Serve the lentils with tofu pieces on top, and a generous portion of plums on top of the tofu.
Optionally sprinkle with a bit of parsley, and the boiled potatoes on the side.