“Purple Love” – Eggplant lasagna with chopped nut filling
Some say that eggplant is an acquired taste. Many kids don’t like it, and I must admit I was an adult before I learned to enjoy it. But perhaps, it was just that eggplant wasn’t ever made or presented in a delicious way. This is definitely one of my top ten favorite recipes. It is an adaptation from a gourmet restaurant in our town. It was not originally vegan, it was vegetarian, so it was not so difficult to change. However, I have tweaked it a bit further and we really enjoy this now. I find it not difficult to make and in fact even easy. I hope you give it a try and enjoy it as much as we do.
Serving Size: 4
- 2 eggplants
- 3-4 tbs. olive oil
- 150 grams mixed nuts, chopped
- 2 shallots, chopped
- 1 tbs. paprika paste
- 325 grams tofu , pureed
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 tomatoes, sliced
- Slice the eggplants lengthwise, in thin slices and fry in the olive oil till lightly browned. (3-4 min.)
- Chop the nuts in a kitchen machine or food processor.
- Season to taste with salt, pepper and paprika.
- Puree the tofu adding the paprika paste, salt and pepper.
- Place 1 slice of eggplant on the bottom of an oven proof dish.
- Spread the tofu mixture on top and then some of the nut mixture.
- Repeat this again with a second slice of eggplant, tofu mixture and nuts.
- Top with a slice of eggplant the tofu mixture and sliced tomatoes and sprinkle a few nuts on top.
- Do the entire proceedure again for each “lasagna stack”.
- Place all in a preheated oven at 200 (C) and bake for 10 minutes.