Easy raspberry tarts
Raspberries are my very favorite berry. We are lucky to have many bushes in our garden. From early summer through the fall we’re able to enjoy fresh raspberries. In February for Valentine’s Day, they are a very special treat. This is a lovely simple dessert that is easy to make. You can prepare the ingredients ahead of time and then just before serving create your individual tarts.
Serving Size: 2
- 2 frozen, vegan puff pastry dough sheets, thawed
- pinch flour to dust the pastry form
- 1/4 cup raspberry jam
- 2 tbs. raspberry liquor or syrup
- 1 tsp. corn starch
- 1/2 pint fresh raspberries
- Preheat the oven to 200 (C).
- Dust your pasty form with flour.
- Place the thawed puff pastry in the form. Put a piece of baking paper on top and fill the form with dried beans or rice to “blind bake” the pastry.
- Bake the pastry for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven, pour out the beans and throw away the paper, and allow the pastry to cool.
- Meanwhile, heat 1/4 cup of raspberry jam in a saucepan.
- Mix the cornstarch with the liquid (liquor or syrup) and add to the raspberry jam.
- Bring the jam to a gentle boil while stirring.
- When the jam becomes clear and thicker, it is ready to be removed from the heat. (about 10 minutes)
- Just before serving “build” your tarts. Put a thin layer of the raspberry/liquor jam in the bottom of each tart, and carefully put the fresh raspberries on top.
Be careful not to make it too soon ahead of time, the jam makes the dough soggy.
You can dust it with powdered sugar or put whipped soy topping on top, but we think it looks nicest, with just the raspberries.