Applesauce is the secret for these sweet cornbread muffins, which make a lovely Sunday morning breakfast.
Serving Size: 3 (ca. 9 muffins)
- 3/4 cup white flour
- 1/4 cup gram flour
- 1/4 cup fine corn flour
- 3/4 cup polenta (cornmeal made from ground maize, coarse)
- 4 tbs. sugar
- 3 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/3 cup + 2 tbs. apple sauce
- 1/2 cup soy milk
- 1/2 cup water
- Mix the dry ingredients in a bowl.
- Mix wet the ingredients in another bowl.
- Add wet to dry and stir well.
- Oil a square or round ovenproof dish, or use one of the silicone cupcake “tins” if you want muffins.
I do not suggest using the paper muffin/cupcake cups, as this recipe does not use oil, the batter sticks to the paper.
- Bake at 375 (F) or 190 (C) for about 25 – 30 minutes, or until golden brown.
I really like the taste of gram flour. It adds a sweetness without changing the texture.
We are able to get 2 “grades” of cornmeal. Very fine (like flour) and coarse (like grits).
I’ve used all of these plus the normal white flour to make these tasty sweet cornbread muffins.