Fresh Mushroom Salad
- 16 ounces fresh mushrooms, trimmed, washed, and thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup lemon juice (about 2 to 3 lemons)
- 2 tbs. chives, chopped
- 1 tbs. fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 teaspoon tarragon
- 2 tbs. Italian seasonings for Italian dressing
- 1 tbs. olive oil
- 1 tablespoon juice from the jar of sweet red pepper
- 4-5 tbs. sweet red bell pepper (canned or in a jar), chopped
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon grainy mustard
- fresh mixed salad greens
- At least 1 hour in advance, clean and slice the mushroom very thinly.
- Place sliced mushrooms in a large bowl; toss with lemon juice, chives, parsley, and tarragon.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, in another bowl, combine Italian seasonings, olive oil, juice from the red pepper, sugar, and mustard; whisk together.
- Add the sweet bell pepper pieces.
- Cover and refrigerate for about 1 hour.
- To serve, toss mushrooms with the salad dressing mixture; arrange on mixed salad greens on a serving platter or individual salad plates.
This is an adaptation from “Your Guide to Southern U.S. Cuisine”