Tiny Mushroom-Potato Muffins
These mini muffins are packed with tasty treats. This time with sauteed mushrooms, another time, with sun-dried tomatoes, or olives. The possibilities are endless. They make a nice appetizer and are also good as party food.
Yield: 3-4 dozen mini muffins
- 5 cups mashed potatoes
- 2 cups mushrooms, cut in small pieces
- 4 Tbs. vegan margarine
- 4 spring onions or 2 shallots, cut in small pieces
- 3/4 cup flour
- 4 egg replacement equivalents
- 4 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- Make the mashed potatoes, add 2 tablespoons of vegan margarine to the mashed potatoes.
- In a frying pan, heat the other 2 tablespoons of vegan margarine, add the chopped spring onions or shallots and the cut up mushrooms. Saute and cook down the liquid.
- Preheat the oven to 375 (F).
- Grease the mini muffin tin.
- Add the flour, egg substitute, mushrooms and baking powder to the mashed potatoes and mix well.
- Spoon into the mini muffin tin.
- These muffins do not get larger, so you can put the mixture slightly heaping over the top.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until golden brown. Allow to cool for 5 minutes before removing from the muffin tin.
About 10 russet potatoes or Yukon gold will yield the 5 cups. Alternatively, if you can find vegan instant mashed potatoes, they will make the recipe quicker and easier.