Kohlrabi Waldorf salad
This is such a nice fresh and crunchy salad. We really enjoyed this.
Serving Size: 4
- 1 kohlrabi, peeled and sliced in small thin slices
- 1 Granny Smith apple, cored and sliced in thin slices
- 100 grams pistachio nuts, shelled and sliced
- lemon vinaigrette
- 2 Tbs. lemon flavored sunflower oil
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- Italian salad herbs
- salt and pepper to taste
- wasabi flavored sesame seeds (optional garnish)
- Peel the kohlrabi and slice it into very fine slices
- Squeeze a bit of lemon juice into a bowl with a bit of water.
- Cut the apple into fine slices directly into the lemon water to prevent browning.
- Make the lemon vinaigrette to taste using the lemon flavored oil, lemon juice, a pinch of sugar a few Italian herbs and salt and pepper to taste. Whisk the dressing to mix well.
- Place the kohlrabi in a serving bowl, pour the vinaigrette over and mix.
- Remove the apple slices from the lemon water and add to the kohlrabi.
- Mix well.
- Shortly before serving sprinkle the pistachio nuts over and mix again.
- You can serve the salad on a bed of lettuce, with rucola or alone.
- It keeps well overnight and tastes great on the second day also.
I chose the Granny Smith apple to keep everything that lovely green color, but a regular apple would be fine too and give a red and green appearance to the salad.