Pumpkin and Apple Risotto with Tofu Pieces
This year we had a lot of good apples and many pumpkins in our garden. This recipe combines them both to a great meal.
- 2 cups pumpkin, cut into bite sized chunks
- 2 cups apple cider or apple Juice
- 2 tbs. olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cups Arborio rice
- 3 apples, peeled and diced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 chili pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1/2 tbs. cinnamon, ground
- 1/4 tsp. allspice, ground
- 2 tbs. Italian herbs
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 package (12 ounces ) spicy tofu pieces
- Saute the onion in oil, add the bell pepper
- Add the cider or apple juice and bring to a simmer, cook until hot.
- Add rice, stir in 2 cups hot water; bring to simmer.
- Add the pumpkin chunks and cook for 5-10 minutes until the pumpkin is soft.
- Add tofu pieces and mix well.
- Add apple; cook 1 t0 2 minutes more. Add the chillies or Tabasco and season to taste with salt and pepper.