Spicy Beet and Grape Salad
Pretty and tasty, a nice salad with lots of flavor.
Serving Size: 4
- 3-4 beets, cooked or roasted and cooled
- 2 tablespoons Olive oil
- 1/4 cup berry liquor (alternately berry syrup)
- juice from 1 lemon
- 1 shallot or red onion, in fine slices
- 1 teaspoon grainy mustard
- pinch cayenne
- salt and pepper to taste
- 8 walnuts, chopped
- a few curls of (soy) cheese as garnish
- mixed salad greens or mixed sprouts
- Cook the beets…allow to cool, and then slice thinly. I have a small cooky cutter in the shape of a star and will then cut little stars from the beet slices. (The left over beet pieces I will use in a soup, or make a pureed dip.
- Slice the grapes in half.
- Lightly saute the shallot or onion until glassy.
- Add the berry liquor or syrup and allow it to reduce.
- Serve the beets and grapes on a bed of lettuce or on mixed sprouts.
- Drizzle the dressing over and garnish with chopped walnuts and cheese curls.
Rather than just slicing the cooked beets, I used a cookie cutter to cut out little stars for this holiday salad.