Brussels Sprouts with Orange and Chili
In the Yucatan of Mexico, one can often enjoy a half of fresh orange sprinkled with chili pepper offered by street vendors. The mixture of sweet and hot is always enjoyable. This recipe is a delight for the taste buds.
Serving Size: 4
- 250 grams (10oz) Brussels sprouts, bottoms trimmed, cut in half
- orange, zest and juice
- pinch of chili flakes
- 1 teaspoon corn starch
- knob of soy margarine
- pinch sugar
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
Steam the sprouts above boiling water for 5-8 minutes.
To make the orange chili sauce:
- Zest the orange.
- Juice the orange.
- Place the orange juice plus the corn starch in a sauce pan, mix well and bring to heat.
- Add the orange zest, chili flakes, butter and seasoning. (reserve a bit of zest as garnish.
- Stir until thick and clear.
- Remove from the heat.
When the sprouts are soft, but still bright green, remove and place in a serving dish.
Drizzle the orange chili sauce over the sprouts and place the zest around.
adapted from chef Leslie Waters of Ready Steady Cook, BBC