Lentils & Rhubarb United Soup
Soon we will be able to harvest fresh rhubarb from our garden. For this delicious soup I used what we still had in the freezer from last year. The slight sourness of rhubarb adds a wonderful dimension to the lentils.
Serving Size: 4
- 3/4 cup red lentils
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 cup rhubarb, chopped
- 2 vegetable bouillon cubes
- 4 cups water
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 small bunch parsley, chopped and divided in half
- soy yogurt as garnish
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large pot.
- Add the chopped carrots and saute.
- As the carrots are softening, ad the celery and onion.
- Further saute until they begin to soften.
- Add the lentils, water and the vegetable bouillon cubes, and tomato paste and cook until the lentils begin to soften (about 10 minutes).
- Add 1/2 of the parsley and the rhubarb pieces and cook about 10 minutes more until the lentils are cooked.
- Ideally you want the lentils and vegetables to be cooked, and the rhubarb only softened, otherwise cooking longer, the rhubarb will fall apart.
- Season to taste with additional salt and pepper.
- Garnish with soy yogurt and sprinkled parsley.