Lemon Raspberry Cake
So pretty in pink, this lemon, raspberry cake is very easy to make. Last year we had a very good year for raspberries, we froze many which gave us the chance to enjoy this lovely cake now.
for the cake:
- 1 cup plain soy yogurt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 2 limes or lemons, zest and juice
- 1 & 1/2 cups flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
for the frosting:
- 1/2 cup coconut oil or other non-hydrogenated shortening, softened
- 1/2 cup vegan margarine, softened
- 3 & 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 & 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- 2-3 Tbs. raspberry jam
- 2 tsp. lemon juice
- 1 tsp. cornstarch
for the filling:
- 3-4 Tbs. raspberry jam
To make the cake:
- Zest the outside of 2 organic limes or lemons.
- Squeeze the juice into a small cup.
- Mix the soy yogurt, sugar, oil, and vanilla extract in a small bowl.
- Add the zest and 2-3 tablespoons of lemon or lime juice.
- Preheat the oven to 350 (F) or 175 (C).
- Oil a spring form cake pan.
- Mix the flour and baking powder together and add to the liquid mixture.
- Gently mix together, be careful to not over mix.
- Pour the batter into the cake pan and bake for 35-45 minutes or until lightly golden brown and an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
To make the frosting:
- Take 3 Tbs. raspberry jam, place in a sauce pan and heat.
- Liquify the cornstarch with a bit of water and add to the raspberry jam.
- Stir until it become clear and thick.
- Push the sauce through a sieve to remove and of the raspberry seeds.
- Beat the softened coconut oil (or other shortening) and margarine together to a fluffy mixture.
- Add the powdered sugar alternated with the raspberry sauce and vanilla.
- Beat to a smooth and even consistency.
To assemble the cake:
- When the cake is done, remove from the oven and allow to completely cool before removing the spring form.
- Once the cake has cooled, slice it in half.
- Place the bottom half on a serving plate and spoon 2-3 tablespoons of raspberry jam over the top.
- Don’t put too much, and leave s small )1/8 of an inch edge without jam. (When you put the top potion of cake on, the weight will bring any extra amounts over the edge.
- Place the top half of the cake back on and frost the entire cake.
- Optionally decorate with raspberries.