Vegan Hawaiian Rhubarb Pie with Ginger Streusel Topping
Sweet and sour is one of our favorite combinations, which make s this pie a favorite. With rhubarb season just beginning, Vegalicious offers a new way to enjoy this special vegetable used as a fruit.
Serving Size: 6
for the pie crust
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 Tbs. sugar
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/8 cup coconut oil
- 1 Tbs. vegan margarine
- 1 tsp. vinegar
- 3-4 Tbs. ice water
for the filling:
- 1 & 1/2 cups pineapple pieces, drained
- 1 & 1/2 cups rhubarb, cut in bite sized pieces
- 1/2 pineapple liquid
- 2 tsp. cornstarch
- 1 Tbs. sugar
for the streusel topping:
- 2 Tbs. sugar
- 3 Tbs. flour
- 2 tsp. ginger, ground
- 2 Tbs. soy margarine, melted
To make the pie crust:
- Measure the flour, baking powder,sugar and salt into a bowl.
- Measure the coconut oil (I melted it first, measured then allowed to harden in the refrigerator for a few minutes.
- Measure the vegan margarine.
- “Pinch” the margarine into the flour mixture until it becomes crumbly.
- By this time, the coconut oil is also hard, pinch it into the mixture.
- Add the vinegar and water and mix to form a dough.
- If it is still a fairly hard mass, then roll it out and put into a greased pie pan.
- If the dough is too soft, then put into the refrigerator for 1/2 an hour to harden, then roll out and place in a greased pie pan.
- Prick the dough in several places on the bottom of the pie with a fork.
For the streusel topping:
- Mix the flour, sugar and ginger together in a small bowl.
- Melt the soy margarine and pour over the mixture.
- Mix well using a fork. The mixture will resemble small crumbs.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F/177°C.
For the filling:
- Drain the pineapple pieces and place the liquid in a saucepan.
- Mix the rhubarb and pineapple pieces together in a bowl.
- Add the sugar and cornstarch to the pineapple liquid.
- Heat and stir until the mixture becomes thick and clear.
- Place the pineapple pieces and rhubarb in the pie and pour the liquid over.
- Sprinkle the streusel topping over the top of the pie.
- Bake in a 350°F/177°C oven for 30-35 minutes or until the top is golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool.