Gnocchi with Artichokes and Walnuts
This is a very tasty and elegant meal. I think may become our special holiday meal.
Serving Size: 4
- 500 gram (1.1 lb) gnocchi
- 2 cans artichoke hearts, drained and quartered
- 100 gram (0.22 lb) walnuts, chopped
- 1 Tbs. walnut oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 2-3 Tbs. nutritional yeast flakes
- 1 Tbs. cornstarch
- 2-3 sprigs of thyme
- salt & pepper to taste
- Bring a pot of lightly salted water to boil for the gnocchi.
- In a medium saucepan, put the walnut oil and lightly toast the walnuts.
- When they have been toasted, remove them from the pain to use later.
- Open the cans of artichoke hearts.
- Cut the artichokes from one can in halves or quarters depending upon the size.
- Use the 2nd can of artichokes and the water they are in to make a sauce.
- Puree the artichokes in their water, add the lemon juice, salt, pepper and cornstarch.
- Mince the garlic, and saute in the remaining walnut oil.
- Add the artichoke sauce and heat until it becomes thick.
- Add the cut up artichoke pieces, and turn the heat to simmer.
- Put the gnocchi in the boiling water and cook until they begin to float.
- When they are floating, pour them off into a sieve.
- Add the most walnuts and thyme to the sauce (reserve a few walnut pieces as garnish).
- Serve the gnocchi with the artichoke sauce and a few walnut pieces sprinkled on top.
This meal tastes lovely with three bean salad or also with a lovely fruit cocktail salad. A lovely whole grain bread and white wine make this meal complete.