Rhubarb Banana Windmills
A friend served us this tasty Belgian recipe. We would have never thought of the combination of bananas with rhubarb but they are a great together.
- 2 cups fresh rhubarb, cut in pieces
- 3 medium bananas
- 2 Tbs. sugar
- 2 Tbs. lemon juice
- 1/4-1/2 cup water
- 12 vegan puff pastry sheets, thawed
To make the filling:
- Place the cut rhubarb with 2 tablespoons of sugar and about 1/4-1/2 cup of water ina saucepan and heat.
- Cook the rhubarb until it breaks down.
- Cut the bananas in pieces, add to the rhubarb with the lemon juice and continue cooking.
- remove from the heat when the bananas have soften and mix well.
- Taste, and possibly add a bit more sugar or lemon juice.
To make the windmills:
- Preheat the oven to 428 F / 220 C.
- Thaw the puff pastry sheets and place them on a baking parchment lined cookie sheet.
- Using a knife, carefully cut each corner in half almost to the center, but not completely.
- Place a dollop of the rhubarb banana jam in the center area that has not been cut.
- Bring each of the 4 right sides of the cut corners to the center of the windmill.
- Place the tips so that they overlap at the center.
- Optionally you can brush the pastry with water and sprinkle sugar over the pastry.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until golden and puffed.
- Allow to cool before removing from the cookie sheet.
These windmills are very easy to make and kids would have fun making them. Of course you can fill them with any sort of jam.
The recipe amkes a lot of jam. If you don’t want to make 12 windmills, of course you can use the jam for other recipes.