Lentil Croquettes with Mango Jalapeno Chutney
With the upcoming holiday season, having tapas ready on hand is a good idea. These were very tasty and also make a nice dinner as well.
- 1 cup lentils (I used red)
- 1 vegetable bouillon cube
- 2 bay leaves
- splash of lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons bread crumbs plus bread crumbs for rolling
- 2 tablespoons chick pea flour
- dash garlic powder
- oil for frying
for the mango chutney
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 spring onions, or 1 small regular onion
- 1 ripe mango
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1-2 jalapeno peppers, de-seeded and sliced
- dash of salt and pepper
- pinch cinnamon
- pinch allspice
- pinch cardamom
- pinch coriander powder
To make the lentil croquettes:
- Put the lentils and 2 cups of water in a pot and bring to a boil.
- Add the vegetable bouillon, lemon juice and bay leaves.
- Cook the lentils until soft. You may need to add more water. Keep an eye on them so that they do not burn or scorch.
- All ow the cooked lentils to cool.
- Add the chick pea flour, garlic powder and enough bread crumbs to make the mass stick together.
- When it is cool enough to handle, roll a tablespoonful of the lentils to form a log.
- Roll the log in dried bread crumbs and set on a plate to await frying.
- Continue making all the croquettes until you have used all of the lentils.
To make the mango chutney:
- Slice the spring onions in small rings.
- saute in a small sauce pan with the oil
- Peel the mango and de-seed.
- Cut the mango in small pieces and add to the onions.
- Add the vinegar, sugar and spices.
- De-seed and chop the jalapeno in small pieces.
- Add the jalapeno pieces to the cooking mango chutney.
- Keep at a low simmer until the liquid has cooked off and it is a well blended mixture.
- Season to taste with additional seasonings or slat and pepper.
Fry the lentil croquettes in a pan with a small amount of oil, drain on a paper towel and serve with mango chutney.
Offering you this site with free recipes without advertisements or sponsored posts costs time and money. Please support our work and keep us going in following ways:
Buy our cookbook
License our stock photos
Visit vegaliciousphotos for our portofio of authentic vegan food stock photos and videos.