These are really tasty and easy to make. Enjoy them with a good Italian meal or as snack.
Yield: 4 doz. (depending on size)
- 3 cups flour
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 pkg. yeast
- 1 Tbs. sugar
- 1 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 Tbs. oregano
- 1 tsp. thyme
- 1 Tbs. dried basil
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) vegan margarine or oil
- Place the flour in a large bowl.
- Add the salt and herbs.
- Measure 1 cup of warm water. Add the tablespoon of sugar and yeas to the warm water and allow to bubble for about 3 minutes.
- Pour the yeast mixture and oil into the flour and mix well.
- Kneed the dough a bit until it is elastic and supple.
- Place in a warm spot to rise for 45 minutes to an hour.
- When ready to bake the breadstick, preheat the oven to 425 F / 218 C.
- Melt the vegan margarine on a cookie sheet with sides.
- Roll the bread sticks by taking a small amount and rolling it on a clean counter top, just as you did when you were a kid playing with clay.
- The sticks will shrink when you put them on the oil, so make them a bit longer than planed.
- Lay the breadsticks on the buttered cookie sheet.
- When the cookie sheet is filled with breadsticks, spray the top of the breadsticks with oil.
- Place the cookie sheet in the preheated oven to bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until they are golden and crispy.
- Allow them to cool, place in an airtight container to keep until needed.
Basically this is a recipe for pizza dough with extra herbs, and “fried” in the oven with oil. The recipe makes a lot, so you could halve it, or make half and freeze the other half of the dough for another time.