Coconut Cake with Rhubarb
The first rhubarb of spring, light pink in color from being grown in the dark. It brought a lovely tart flavor to the sweet coconut cake.
Serving Size: 6
Yield: 1 sheet cake
for the cake:
- 3 long stalks of rhubarb
- 4 ounces silken tofu
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1 capful vanilla extract
- 1 capful coconut flavor or almond
- 1&1/4 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup light vegetable oil
- 3/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 & 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- pinch salt
- powdered sugar for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 350°F/ 177°C.
- Spray a baking sheet with sides or large casserole dish with oil.
- Line the dish or sheet with baking parchment.
- Clean and slice the rhubarb to lengths that will fit in the dish or on the baking sheet.
- Measure the tofu and puree.
- Add coconut milk and oil and mix.
- Add the sugar coconut flakes and flavorings.
- In a separate bowl, mix the dry ingredients.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix. I use a spoon as it goes quickly and is not stiff or difficult to do.
- Pour the batter onto the cookie sheet or in the baking dish.
- Lay the slices of rhubarb on top of the cake.
- Place in the oven and bake for 1 hour or until golden on the top.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool before removing from the baking dish.
Optionally serve rhubarb compote and soy mascarpone on the side.
To make the soy mascarpone:
- Mix 1 tablespoon of raw cashew butter to 3 tablespoons of plain soy yogurt.
- Optionally add a splash of lemon juice, some vanilla extract or if desired, a bit of powdered sugar.
To make the rhubarb compote:
- Slice 1 cup of rhubarb pieces.
- Add 1/4 cup of sugar to 1/4 cup water
- Optionally add a pinch of ginger.
- Place all in a small sauce pan and simmer lightly until the rhubarb has become soft.
We enjoyed this tasty cake served with a dollop of vegan mascarpone and fresh rhubarb compote. I used a large glass casserole dish for this, and as a result the cake was a bit thicker than I wanted. Next time I will make it as a sheet cake.