Vegan Cream Cheese filled Cherry Tomatoes
These tasty little cherries with home-made vegan cream cheese make a lovely appetizer or finger food.
Yield: 1 dozen
- 1 cup vegan cream cheese (bought or home-made)
- 1/3 cup mixed nuts, chopped
- 1 tsp. white miso
- nutmeg (optional)
- Tabasco (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- parsley, coriander and basil as optional garnish
for the home-made vegan cream cheese:
- 50 grams tofu
- 3 tablespoons soy yogurt
- dash tamari or soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 1 tablespoon agave, apple syrup
- dash cayenne
- pinch nutmeg
to make the vegan cream cheese:
- Puree the tofu and soy yogurt t a smooth consistency.
- Add the tahini a small dash of tamari and 1 tablespoon of agave to balance out the saltiness.
- A pinch of nutmeg adds a slight nuttiness to the neutral flavor.
- Season to taste with additional salt and pepper, although you would generally want it to be very mild you can also add a touch of cayenne or Tabasco.
to make the filled cherry tomatoes:
- Remove the top of the cherry tomato and remove the seeds and inner parts of the tomato. You can use a melon baller, a grapefruit spoon or a small demitasse spoon.
- Using a knife, pierce the bottom of the tomato slightly, so that it will remain sitting upright and not roll over.
- Chop the nuts, and mix the cream cheese and nut filling.
- Fill the cherry tomatoes with the cream cheese nut mixture.
- Sprinkle a few chopped herbs and optionally a small basil leaf.
The vegan cream cheese recipe can be adapted to be sweet or savory and can be used as a spread, dip or filling.