Peach pie has always been my favorite. The peaches seem to be especially sweet this year.
Serving Size: 6
Yield: 1 8″ pie
for the crust:
- 2 & 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 4 ounces vegan margarine, cut in small pieces
- 1/4 cup cold water
for the peach filling:
- 6-8 peaches
- 1/4-1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon of sugar as sprinkle topping, optional.
to make the crust:
- Place the flour, salt and sugar in a food processor or large bowl.
- Add the margarine and either whiz with the food processor, or mix with a fork to the consistency of sand.
- Add 3-4 tablespoons of cold water and mix to form a ball, if needed add more cold water 1 tablespoon at a time.
- Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour or more.
- When the dough had hardened.
- Make 2 separate balls from the dough, one for the bottom of the pie, the other for the lid. If it will be a solid lid, you will need to have each half the same, if using cut out forms for the lid, less dough is needed, about 3/4 as much as for the bottom.
- Roll the dough out on a lightly floured surface.
- Place the dough I the pie pan and decorate the edge as you wish.
- Place a bit more flour on the surface.
- Roll the lid out, and if cutting forms, prepare them.
- Preheat the oven to 375 F.
to make the filling:
- Peel and slice the peaches in a bowl, catching the juice as you prepare them.
- Sprinkle the lemon juice over to retard browning.
- In a small bowl, mix the flour, sugar and cinnamon.
- Add the flour mixture to the peaches and gently mix to cover the peaches.
- Pour the mixture into the pie shell and put the pie top on.
- If you are making a solid pie top, you will need to cut vent holes in the top for the steam to escape.
- Optionally brush the top with water or soy milk and sprinkle with sugar.
- Place the pie in the preheated oven and bake for 50 minutes.
- Check after about 30 minutes to see if it has become golden, if so, place some aluminum foil over the pie so that it does not become too brown on the top and edges, while continue cooking.
- When the pie is golden brown and bubbly, remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- We enjoy the taste of peach pie so much that we really don’t want to add anything else, however many add ice soy cream, or whipped soy cream with bourbon.
Peaches are one of the highly fertilized crops, it is advisable to use organic peaches
Adapted from http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/georgia-peach-pie