Vegetable Stew with Seitan and Apples
Our apple tree has been gifting us with many lovely Gala apples. Vegetable stew is delicious any time of the year but it is best with the addition of tasty fresh apples. This lovely stew brings out the diversity of apples.
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 lb. seitan, cut in bite sized pieces
- 4 medium carrots, peeled and cut in bite sized pieces
- 8 small red potatoes
- 2 apples washed, cored and cut into eighths
- 1 & 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch dissolved in a bit of water
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 2 tablespoons mustard
- 1 tablespoon agave or maple syrup
- thyme sprigs as optional garnish
- Place the carrot and potato pieces in a large pot with the oil.
- Saute slightly then add the vegetable broth, lemon pepper and thyme.
- Cook with the lid on the pot until the carrots and potatoes begin to soften.
- Add the seitan pieces and apple slices.
- Mix the mustard and agave together and add to season the broth.
- Dissolve the cornstarch in a bit of water ad add to thicken the sauce.
- Serve the stew garnished with thyme.