Coconut Pudding with Mango and Kiwi Purees
This is a very nice, light treat to enjoy anytime of the year. It bring the taste of the tropics even if it’s wintertime.
Serving Size: 4
for the coconut pudding:
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut
- 1 -14 ounce can coconut milk
- 6 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- spray oil for the custard cups
- 1 mango
- 3-4 kiwis
- spring of mint, lemon verbena or stevia as optional extra garnish
- Oil 4 individual custard cups.
- Heat a frying pan and lightly toast the coconut. Stir constantly as the coconut browns very quickly. (We used non-sweetened coconut, as that as all we can get. You can also use the sweetened if you want. If so I would put 1/2 as much sugar in the coconut milk.)
- Put 1/2 cup of the coconut milk into a small bowl.
- Add the cornstarch and mix well.
- Put the rest of the can of coconut milk in a medium saucepan and heat.
- Add the sugar and stir to blend.
- Stir over a medium heat until the sugar is dissolved.
- Slowly add the coconut milk that had been mixed with the cornstarch.
- Stir well and add the vanilla.
- Continue stirring vigorously as the mixture cooks. Do not let it boil.
- Add in the toasted coconut and continue stirring.
- As it cooks, it becomes quite thick. While stirring, the mixture will come away from the sides of the pan. It will be about 6-8 minutes of cooking and stirring.
- When it is very thick, spoon the pudding into the 4 individual custard cup.
- Allow to cool and place in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
- It should be hardened in 2-3 hours.
to make the purees:
- Slice the sides of the mango away from the stone. Peel the skin, reserve 1/4 of the mango to slice as garnishing pieces.
- Cut the mango in pieces, place in a small bowl and puree.
- If the mango is not very ripe, you may want to add sweetener of some sort. You can use pear juice, agave syrup, a sweet white wine or powdered sugar.
- Peel the kiwis.
- Save 1 kiwi to slice for garnishing, puree the rest of the kiwis in a separate bowl from the mango.
To serve the dessert:
- Peel and thinly slice the remaining piece of mango.
- Slice the kiwi in thin slices.
- Un-mold the coconut pudding by “running” a knife around the edge of the custard cup. Or, you can set the cup in a bowl of very hot water for a minute and then un-mold. Un-mold by turning the cup upside down on top of a plate.
- Spoon a 1-2 tablespoons of mango puree over the coconut.
- Place 1-2 tablespoons of the kiwi puree on the other side, and garnish with slices of kiwi and mango.
- We placed a small sprig of stevia leaves on top also as a garnish.
Offering you this site with free recipes without advertisements or sponsored posts costs time and money. Please support our work and keep us going in following ways:
Buy our cookbook
License our stock photos
Visit vegaliciousphotos for our portofio of authentic vegan food stock photos and videos.