Pulled Seitan and Mushroom Ragu
This tasty recipe makes a very hearty main meal. It is delicious served over polenta, although it would be good over couscous or rice also.
Serving Size: 4
- 1 ounce dried porcini mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 lbs. seitan
- 2 cups onion, diced
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 1 cup carrots, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon miso
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 cup tomato puree
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon thyme, chopped
- 1 tablespoon rosemary, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds, ground
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 2 bay leaves
- salt and pepper
- 1/2-1 cup vegetable stock
- 1 handful parsley, chopped
- Soak the mushrooms in 1/2 cup boiling water.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat.
- Add the onions, celery and carrots and saute until tender, about 10-15 minutes.
- Add the garlic and miso and tomato paste and saute until fragrant, about a minute.
- Add the red wine and deglaze the pan.
- Add the tomato puree, tomato paste, Dijon mustard, vegan Worcestershire sauce, oregano, thyme, rosemary, fennel, nutritional yeast, bay leaves, salt and pepper and enough vegetable stock to cover vegetables.
- Cover and simmer 10-15 minutes to blend the flavors.
- Puree the sauce to a smooth consistency then return to the frying pan.
- Shred the seitan in thin slices
- Add the seitan, the mushrooms and their liquid,
- Simmer to thicken if desired.
We served the ragu over soft polenta.
Offering you this site with free recipes without advertisements or sponsored posts costs time and money. Please support our work and keep us going in following ways:
Buy our cookbook
License our stock photos
Visit vegaliciousphotos for our portofio of authentic vegan food stock photos and videos.