Banana Rhubarb Smoothie
With rhubarb coming into season now, we are happy to enjoy this tasty vegetable in many different ways. It is often combined with banana to bring a sweetness to the tart taste of the rhubarb.
- 1 cup stewed rhubarb (cooled)
- 1 banana
- 1 cup plain soy yogurt
- splash lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
For the stewed rhubarb:
- 1 & 1/2 cups chopped rhubarb
- 4 ounces sugar (or less to taste)
- 1/4 cup water
To make the stewed rhubarb:
- Place the rhubarb in a small saucepan.
- Add the sugar and water and bring to a boil.
- Watch it careful and stir so that it does not boil over.
- When the rhubarb has broken down, remove from the heat and allow to cool.
To make the smoothie:
- Place the cooled stewed rhubarb in a blender.
- Add the banana (peeled and in chunks).
- Add the soy yogurt.
- Blend to a smooth consistency.
- Add the splash of lemon juice and the cinnamon and pulse once again.
- If you wish a thinner smoothie, you can add some ice cubes or soy milk.
- Garnish by sprinkling with cinnamon, and add perhaps a twig of lemon balm.