Vegan Polenta with Caramelized Apples
We saw this inviting recipe and looked forward to adapting it to be vegan. It was delicious – such a nice treat and tasty – either with the cheddar soy cheese melted on top or with the sweet cinnamon apples.
Yield: 6 servings
- 1 cup polenta
- 4 cups water
- pinch salt
- 6 apples
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon + 1 splash lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon vegan margarine
- 1/2 cup apple cider or apple juice
- pinch salt
- 1/2 cup soy cream
- vegan cheddar to grate on top (optional)
to make the polenta:
- Bring the water with the pinch of salt to a boil.
- Add the polenta (cornmeal) and stir.
- Cook the polenta stirring until it thickens. Be careful of spattering boiling polenta as it can burn and hurt you.
- When the polenta has become very thick, remove from the heat and pour into a casserole dish.
- Cool in the refrigerator to harden.
to make the apple sauce:
- Slice the apples thinly, into a bowl of water with splash of lemon juice.
- In a saucepan, heat the lemon juice and sugar until the sugar has dissolved and has begun to turn a lovely amber color.
- Remove from the heat and add the vegan margarine, swirl the pan to mix the bubbling mixture evenly.
- Return to the heat add the cider or apple juice and a pinch of salt.
- When the mixture begins to boil, add the apples.
- Simmer until the apples become soft.
- Add the 1/2 cup of soy cream and boil for about 2 minutes until the sauce thickens.
Serve slices of polenta topped with the apple sauce.
Alternatively, grate some soy cheese on top and bake until the cheese is melted.