Sauteed Apples Filled with Sweet Chestnut Puree
This is a very nice treat. We really enjoyed this today. The sweet chestnut filling tastes lovely with the apple, and just a touch of sour with the agave citrus sauce.
Serving Size: 4
- 1 cup water
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2-3 tablespoon sugar
- 1 & 1/2 cups prepared chestnuts, chopped
- 2 apples
- 1 tablespoon vegan margarine
- 1 lemon or lime juice
- 1 tablespoon agave
- pinch salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- pinch cinnamon
- Warm the water in a small saucepan.
- Add the vanilla and 2 tablespoons sugar as well as the chopped chestnuts.
- Cook the mixture on a low heat.
- Cut the apples in half, remove the seeds and core.
- Melt the vegan margarine in a frying pan.
- Place the apples, cut side down in the melted margarine and cook the apples for 10 minutes to soften.
- Puree the chestnuts to make a soft, smooth puree.
- Season to taste with a pinch of salt and possibly another tablespoon of sugar or agave.
- Remove the apples from the frying pan.
- Zest the outside of the lemon or lime and squeeze the juice.
- Mix the lemon and zest with the agave syrup.
- Add the 1 tablespoon of sugar to the pan and cook to caramelize the sugar.
- Return the apples to the pan and lightly dredge the apples through the caramelized sugar to coat the top of the apple. Place the apple on a plate to serve and dust with cinnamon.
- Fill the hollow where the core and seeds had been with the chestnut mixture.
- Drizzle the lemon zested syrup over the top or around the plate and serve warm.