Fried Rice with Spring Vegetables
We will create 4 different fried rice recipes throughout the year, one for each season. We start this year with the spring vegetables.
Serving Size: 4
- 1/2 lb. tofu, scrambled
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 3 cups cooked brown rice
- 4 green onions
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- 1 tablespoon jalapeño chilly, minced
- 1/2 lb. asparagus, sliced and cut diagonally
- 1/4 lb. snow pea pods, sliced o the diagonal
- 1/4 lb. fresh young peas
- 1 carrot peeled and sliced
- 2-3 young baby corn cobs (if available)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons tamari
- garnish with a few chopped green parts of the spring onion
- optional sweet spicy sauce
- Cook the rice.
- In a large non-stick frying pan, heat the 1 tablespoon oil.
- Crumble the tofu and scramble.
- When the tofu is cooked, remove from the pan.
- Add the sesame oil, the grated ginger, the spring onions and the jalapeño, lightly saute to incorporate the seasonings.
- Add the sliced carrot, snow peas, corn cobs and asparagus.
- Saute the vegetables until they begin to soften, but are still al dente.
- Fluff the rice before adding to the vegetables, then add the rice and scrambled tofu to the frying pan and mix well.
- Add the tamari and season with salt as necessary.
- Garnish with a few of the green parts of the spring onions, chopped.
- Serve warm with optional sweet spicy sauce.
To make a sweet spicy sauce mix 1/4 cup tamari, with 2 tablespoons plum sauce or a jam that you have in the refrigerator. A pinch of ginger powder, lemon pepper, cayenne or Tabasco and optionally 5 spices.
You can use any other fresh vegetables that are available and also any other sort of rice if you prefer other than brown rice.