Sweet Potato, Mango and Fava Bean Salad
This is a lovely salad. The sweet potaotes combine well with the mango, and the bright green favas add protein and color.
Serving Size: 4
- 4 med. sweet potatoes
- 1 lg. ripe mango
- 1/2 fava beans, blanched, and skins peeled
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lime or lemon, juiced
- 2 tablespoons agave or maple syrup
- salt and pepper to taste
- light dash of cayenne or Tabasco
- small handful cilantro or mint
- Salad greens of choice
- As it was a warm day, I did not want to “fire up” the oven, so I boiled the sweet potatoes. You can grill, bake or boil them, just make sure they are not too soft.
- Once the sweet potatoes have been allowed to cool, peel the skins and cut them into cubes.
- Place the sweet potato pieces in a large bowl.
- Prepare the fava beans. Blanch them, remove the skins and add to the sweet potatoes.
- Prepare the dressing by mixing the olive oil and lime or lemon, agave, salt and pepper and either a bit of cayenne or Tabasco according to your preference.
- Chop the cilantro or mint – use which ever you prefer – as a compliment to the salad.
- Peel and cut the mango into one inch cubes.
- Add the mango pieces to the sweet potatoes and fava beans.
- Lightly drizzle the dressing over the salad, add the chopped mint or cilantro and gently mix.
- We served the salad on a bed of sliced iceberg lettuce. It would be nice with any greens.