Vegan Spinach Artichoke Soup
This is a vegan soup version of that tasty and popular artichoke spinach dip.
Serving Size: 4
- 1/2 cup onions, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 can artichoke hearts in water, drained and chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon thyme
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 4 cups vegetable bouillon
- 12 ounces soy yogurt
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/2-1 teaspoon mild mustard
- 4 cups fresh spinach, roughly chopped
- 2/3 cup vegan Parmesan (I used almond meal, Italian herbs and a bit of salt)
- black pepper
- dash of nutmeg optional
- 4 ounces vegan cream cheese
- splash of lemon juice optional
- Sauté onions and garlic in oil in a large soup pot over medium heat until soft, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add artichokes and sauté for about 2 minutes.
- Stir in flour and cook for 1 minute while stirring.
- Deglaze pot with wine.
- Add the vegetable bouillon, thyme and mustard.
- Bring the soup to a boil, then turn down to a soft simmer
- Once the temperature of the soup has lowered, add the soy yogurt and vegan Parmesan.
- Stir well to mix.
- Shorty before serving add the spinach and cook until just wilted.
- Add the vegan cream cheese to thicken the soup
- Season with back pepper, possibly a dash of nutmeg and a splash of lemon juice, if you would like the soup to be a bit tart.
We left the spinach leaves whole, however next time we will chop them.