We have grown black salsify for the first time this year, and found how delicious this forgotten vegetable is. It has a very mild flavor, rather like a mild asparagus. This is an easy dish to prepare and quite tasty.
Serving Size: 4
- 12-16 black salsify roots, (3-4 per person)
- 2 tablespoons vegan margarine
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 cup dry white wine
- salt and pepper to taste
- parsley, chopped as garnish
- Fill a bowl with water and add the lemon juice.
- Under running water, peel the salsify. This will help to keep your hands from becoming sticky from the sap.
- Slice off the ends of the salsify and cut in half. It will be two approx. 3 inch pieces from each root.
- Place immediately in the lemon water.
- Heat the vegan margarine in a large frying pan that has a lid.
- Drain and blot dry the salsify pieces.
- Place the salsify in the frying pan and sauté. Add the lid to contain the moisture released from the salsify. It will take from 8-20 minutes until they are lightly golden brown. Stir from time to time.
- About 1/2 way through the cooking process, add 1/4 cup of dry white wine as liquid to help the salsify cook.
- When the salsify become tender, add another 1/4 – 3/4 of the white wine. Leave the lid off of the pan, and allow the wine to evaporate.
- Season the salsify lightly with salt and I see white pepper.
- Serve the salsify garnished with a bit of chopped parsley.
As an option, one cold also add 1 or 2 apples and cook them for the last few minutes with the salsify.
Offering you this site with free recipes without advertisements or sponsored posts costs time and money. Please support our work and keep us going in following ways:
Buy our cookbook
License our stock photos
Visit vegaliciousphotos for our portofio of authentic vegan food stock photos and videos.