Beet, Parsnip and Apple Soup
This is a delicious and colorful soup we enjoyed on a grey winter’s day. It would also make great soup shots for a party or as an appetizer.
Serving Size: 4
- 2 med. large beets, washed, peeled and chopped
- 2 large parsnips, washed, peeled and chopped
- 1 large apple, peeled, cored and chopped
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1/4 cup soy yogurt
- splash red wine of fruit vinegar
- 1 & 1/2 inch nob ginger, peeled and sliced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil or vegan margarine
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon Chinese 5 Spices
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- salt and pepper to taste
- optional as garnish: soy yogurt, apple chips, radishes, or walnuts
- To prepare the beets: Wash and peel them, then cut into chunks or cubes.
- To prepare the parsnips: Wash and peel them, then cut into chunks or cubes.
- Prepare the red onion and garlic.
- Heat the oil or vegan margarine in a large soup pot.
- Place the onion, beets and parsnips in the pot and begin to saute to soften.
- Add the garlic and ginger and 2-3 cups of vegetable sock.
- Peel the apple, core, and chop. Add the apple pieces to the cooking soup.
- Add the splash of vinegar, and the spices.
- Turn the heat down to a rolling simmer, place a lid on the pot and cook until the vegetables are softened (about 20 minutes).
- Puree the soup (I use an immersion blender). Depending upon desired thickness, add a bit more vegetable stock, or water to obtain the desired consistency.
- Add the soy yogurt and mix well to blend.
- Season to taste with additional amounts of salt, cayenne, 5 spices, vinegar or nutmeg. We added a bit more salt, vinegar, cayenne and Chinese 5 spices.
- Serve the soup garnished with soy yogurt and optionally some apple chips, radishes or toasted walnuts.