Vegan Parsnips, Apples, Red Cabbage and Candied Walnuts
This colorful side dish really tastes great. It is a very nice way to serve winter vegetables.
Servings: 4-6 (or 2 as a main meal)
- 4 medium large parsnips
- 2 splashes lemon juice
- 3 apples
- 2 cups red cabbage, shredded
- 1/3 cup walnuts, chopped
- 4 tablespoons vegan margarine
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- pinch taco seasonings (optional but nice)
- 1-2 teaspoon nutmeg
- pinch salt
- splash Tabasco (optional
- 1/4 cup soy cream
- Slice the parsnips in matchstick shapes or very thin coins (I used a mandolin to slice them very thinly). Slice them into a bowl of water with a splash of lemon juice to retard discoloration.
- Shred the red cabbage.
- Quarter the apples, remove the core and slice thinly. Place the apples also in a blow of water with a splash of lemon juice to retard discoloration.
- Pre-heat the oven to warm (200-250 F).
- Drain the water from the parsnips and place the parsnips in a steamer. Steam the parsnips al dente.
- At the same time, warm 2 tablespoons of vegan margarine in a large frying pan.
- Drain the water from the apples and place the apples in the melted vegan margarine.
- Lightly cook the apples in the skillet.
- When the parsnips are al dente, remove from the steamer, place in a bowl.
- Add the soy cream, nutmeg a pinch of salt and a small splash of Tabasco as desired.
- Place the “creamy” parsnips on a serving plate and set in the oven to remain warm.
- As the apples are lightly browning, add 1 tablespoon of brown sugar and gently stir to mix. Carefully spoon the apples on top of the parsnips.
- Using the same pan that the apples had been cooked in, warm 1 tablespoon of vegan margarine and add the shredded red cabbage.
- Cook the red cabbage until wilted (3-5 minutes). Spoon the wilted red cabbage on the apples and parsnips in the oven.
- Using the same pan, warm the last tablespoon of vegan margarine and add the chopped walnuts.
- Lightly toast the walnuts, and add 1 tablespoon of brown sugar and optionally the taco seasoning. Stir to mix. Spoon the candied walnuts on top of the red cabbage.
- Serve the side dish warm from the oven.