Winter Squash and Kale Risotto with Golden Raisins
This is a very nice recipe during the cold winter and early spring months. The raisins add a nice sweetness to the meal.
Serving Size: 4
- 1 large white sweet onion like Vidalia
- 1 cup Arborio rice
- 2 cups winter squash cut in bite-sized pieces (Butternut, red curi or whatever is available)
- 2-3 cups kale, washed, stems removed and chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup golden (white) raisins
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil or vegan margarine
- 3-4 cups vegetable bouillon
- 3-4 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- dash nutmeg (optional but nice)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cut the squash into bite-sized pieces. We use organic red kuri squash, so it is not necessary to remove the skin. If you don’t have a thin skinned organic squash, then also remove the skin.
- Prepare the kale by washing, then removing the large ribs/stems and chop into small pieces.
- Chop the onion and mince the garlic.
- Peel the ginger and grate or mince.
- Heat the oil or vegan margarine in a large frying pan or skillet.
- Add the pumpkin pieces and sauté until they begin to soften.
- Add the chopped onions and continue to sauté until the onions begin to become glassy.
- Add the rice, ginger and garlic and mix well to cover the grains evenly with the seasoned oil.
- Add the 1/2 cup of white wine and cook until the liquid has been absorbed.
- Add 3 cups of vegetable bouillon and continue cooking. Stir the mixture often while it is cooking.
- Add the raisins.
- When the rice has become soft, add the kale. You may need to add the 4th cup of vegetable bouillon or water to continue cooking until the mixture is creamy and the grains are soft.
- Add the nutritional yeast and nutmeg.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper as needed.
- Serve warm with a whole grain bread.
Offering you this site with free recipes without advertisements or sponsored posts costs time and money. Please support our work and keep us going in following ways:
Buy our cookbook
License our stock photos
Visit vegaliciousphotos for our portofio of authentic vegan food stock photos and videos.