Asparagus Appetizer with Vegan Sausage and Radishes
This is a very elegant way to enjoy asparagus in season. It makes a lovely appetizer, or a nice salad.
Serving Size: 4
- 1 lb. green asparagus, cleaned, sliced and cooked al dente
- 2-4 vegan sausages or vegan hot dogs, sliced and warmed
- 1 bunch fresh radishes, cleaned, sliced very thinly and marinated
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
for the mustard sauce:
- 2 tablespoons mild grainy mustard
- 2 teaspoons miso
- 2-3 tablespoons raspberry marmalade or jam
- splash water
- Clean the asparagus, cut the tough woody part of the stem off and slice as you would like to serve.
- Bring a pot of lightly salted water to boil and cook the asparagus al dente.
- Once the asparagus are cooked, drain and plunge into icy cold water to stop the cooking process. Allow the asparagus to cool.
- Slice into rounds and lightly heat the vegan hot dogs or sausages.
- Bring a small pot of water to boil add the rice vinegar.
- Clean the radishes, and slice very thinly. I used a mandolin.
- Cook the radish slices for 3-5 minutes then plunge into cold water.
- Make the mustard sauce by mixing the ingredients. You may need a splash of water to be able to blend the spread.
- Serve as a salad or appetizer.
- Arrange the asparagus pieces, vegan hot dog pieces and radish pieces on individual salad plates.
- Dot some of the mustard sauce around the plate to dip the hot dog pieces and asparagus in.