Rhubarb and Red Gooseberry Pie
This is now one of our very favorite pie recipes. The combination of red gooseberries and rhubarb is really delicious. You can easily freeze rhubarb, and use it later in the summer when the red gooseberries are ripe, or also the other way around. Freeze the gooseberries (topped and tailed at the end of the summer, and then use them with fresh rhubarb in the early spring.
Serving Size: 4
Yield: 1 pie
for the dough:
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon. salt
- 6-8 tablespoons ice water
- 3 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 cup vegan margarine or coconut fat
for the rhubarb red gooseberry filling:
- 2 1/2 cups gooseberries
- 1 1/2 cups rhubarb
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 4 tablespoons quick cooking tapioca
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
for the optional “wash”:
- 2 tablespoons non dairy milk
- small pinch turmeric
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- to make the dough: In a large bowl, combine flour, salt and sugar.
- Cut in the vegan margarine or coconut fat until it looks like coarse meal.
- Blend in water and mix to make a dough.
- Wrap dough and chill 1/2 hour in refrigerator.
- Meanwhile make the filling: Place 1/2 cup of berries and 1/4 cup rhubarb in a sauce pan.
- Add 1/2 cup sugar and the 3 tablespoons tapioca flour.
- Bring to a boil, stirring, then remove from the heat.
- Place the rest of the berries and rhubarb in a bowl, add the sugar and gently stir.
- Add the cooked, rhubarb-berry mixture to the uncooked berry mixture.
- Preheat the oven to 400 F / 204 C.
- Divide the dough in 2 equal parts.
- Roll out the first piece of dough to fit into your pie pan.
- Place the rolled out dough into the pie pan.
- Even prick the bottom of the dough with a fork.
- Roll out the top pie crust. If desired, use a cookie cutter to “cut” openings in the top.
- Fill the pie plate with the filling.
- Place the top pie dough on top of the filling.
- If you have not cut holes out with a cookie cutter, then using a knife, cut vents for the steam.
- As optional wash: Mix the non-dairy milk with a small pinch of turmeric to make a light yellow wash for the top of the pie.
- Carefully wash the pie dough with a thin layer using a pastry brush and sprinkle with sugar.
- Place the pie on a cookie sheet to catch any drippings and keep your oven clean.
- Place in the oven to bake for 35 minutes or until golden brown.
- When the pie is done, remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- We enjoyed the pie with a dollop of non-dairy whipped topping.