Vegan Kale and Walnut Pesto
I think this is my new favorite pesto as it is so flavorful. We have really enjoyed this pesto with grissini, drizzled over roasted root vegetables, as filling for ravioli and as the sauce for our Friday night pizza.
Yield: 2 cups
- 4-6 cups kale, cleaned and chopped
- 1 cup walnuts
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3-4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon mild grainy mustard
- salt and pepper to taste
- splash of water as needed
- Clean the kale and chop, removing the large stems.
- Place the walnuts in a large dry frying pan and toast lightly.
- Once the are done, remove from the frying pan and set aside.
- Add 2 tablespoons of oil to the pan, then add the prepared kale.
- Lightly sauté the kale until it is bright green and just wilted.
- Place the wilted kale in a food processor.
- Add the other 2 tablespoons of olive oil and the lemon juice, and pulse to puree the kale.
- You may need to add a bit of water.
- As the kale begins to break down and puree, add the walnuts and continue to puree.
- Add the minced garlic and puree.
- Add the mustard and nutritional east and puree again.
- Season to taste with additional salt and pepper as needed.