Pear Rhubarb Smoothie
Rhubarb is one of our favorite springtime vegetables. We are happy to have 4 very large rhubarb plants and can harvest enough to freeze for use during the year. But today we had a tasty treat enjoying pear and rhubarb smoothies.
Serving Size: 2
for the smoothie:
- 2 pears, peeled, cored and cut into chunks
- 3/4 cup rhubarb syrup
- 1/2 cup rhubarb pulp from making the syrup
- 1 cup almond milk or other non-dairy milk
- 2-3 tablespoons soy yogurt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
for the rhubarb syrup:
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 cups rhubarb, cleaned and cut into chunks
to make rhubarb syrup:
- Bring the sugar and water to boil in a medium sauce pan.
- Add the rhubarb chunks and turn the heat down to a simmer.
- Cook the rhubarb until it breaks apart.
- Allow to cool then strain through a cheesecloth. Keep 1/2 cup of the rhubarb pulp for the smoothie.
- Pour the strained syrup into a bottle with a cap or lid.
- Keep extra rhubarb syrup refrigerated.
to make the smoothie:
- Mix all the ingredients together in a blender.
Rhubarb syrup is great for making smoothies, spritzers or even used as a sauce for pancakes.