Creamy Key Lime Tempeh and Mushroom Enchiladas
These enchiladas were delicious. It’s the key lime juice that made the difference. We will be having this more this summer.
Serving Size: 4
- 2 medium onions, chopped (divided)
- 4 ounces chopped green chillies
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2½ cups minced tempeh (or cut in small strips)
- 8 ounces mushrooms, cleaned and chopped
- 6 ounces soy yogurt, divided
- ½ cup cilantro, chopped (Divided)
- 4 key limes
- 1 can (10 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon taco seasoning
- Tabasco to taste
- salt and pepper
- 12 tortillas
- ½ cup shredded vegan cheese
- Pre-heat the oven to 350°F / 177°C.
- Spray an oven-proof baking dish with cooking spray
- To make the enchilada sauce: Place the crushed tomatoes in a bowl.
- Chop 1 onion and add to the crushed tomatoes.
- Add the taco seasoning.
- Add 1/2 of the cilantro, chopped and 1/2 of the soy yogurt.
- Squeeze 2 key limes into the mixture and mix well.
- Season to taste with Tabasco salt and pepper
- To make filling: Cut the tempeh in small strips or mince into small pieces.
- Clean the mushrooms and chop into small pieces.
- Chop the other onion and the green chilies.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan.
- Add the onion and sauté until glassy.
- Add the mushrooms and cook until they begin to release their juices.
- Add the tempeh and chili pieces.
- Stir well to mix.
- Add the rest of the cilantro and the rest of the soy yogurt.
- Squeeze the other 2 key limes to juice them over the mixture and stir well to mix.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Fill each tortilla roll with some of the mixture and roll.
- Place the tortillas in the baking dish seam side down.
- Spread some of the enchilada sauce over and sprinkle some of the shredded vegan cheese on top.
- Place in the oven to bake for about 10 minutes or until lightly browned and crispy
- We garnished the meal with a few cilantro leaves and a slice of key lime..
If you can’t get key limes, you can substitute with Persian limes.