Succotash has always been a favorite vegetable at our house. This time we made it with fava beans.
Serving Size: 4
- 1 12 ounce (340 g) bag baby lima beans, fava beans or edamame
- 3-4 ears corn, cut off the cob
- ¼ cup (60 ml) non-dairy milk
- 1 tablespoon vegan margarine
- salt and black pepper to taste
- small handful of chives as optional garnish
- If using fava beans that still have the skins, you will need to blanch them and remove the skins.
- Otherwise, bring a pot of water to boil and cook the beans (limas, favas or edamame) al dente.
- Cut the corn off the cob.
- Place in medium saucepan.
- Add the 1/4 cup non-dairy milk.
- Bring to a medium heat and cook the corn al dente (1-8 minutes).
- When the beans are cooked, drain the water off.
- Add the cooked beans to the corn and mix well.
- Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
- Remove from the heat and place in a serving bowl.
- Add the tablespoon of butter and lightly mix.
- Chop the chives and place on top of the succotash as garnish.
You can also use green beans for a different sort of succotash.