Salsify, Lentil and Pineapple Salad
We enjoyed this as a hearty warm lunch salad with some crusty wholegrain bread.
Serving Size: 4
- 2 pounds salsify, peeled and cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 cup lentils (dry), cook until al dente and blanched
- 1 large red onion, cut in rings
- ¼ fresh pineapple or 1 14 ounce caned pineapple, drained
- 2 springs thyme
for the dressing:
- 3 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 tablespoon white balsamic or fruit vinegar
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- 2 tablespoon chives
- 1-2 teaspoons vegetable bouillon powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- Soak the lentils for 4 hours to over-night.
- Peel the salsify under cold running water so your hands do not become sticky. Alternatively wear gloves while peeling.
- Place the salsify and vinegar water in a pot and bring to a boil.
- Cook the salsify until al dente. At least 25-40 minutes.
- Cut the peeled salsify into bite sized pieces and place in a bowl with water and vinegar so the salsify does not discolor.
- When all the salsify has been peeled and cut, drain the water and place the salsify in a pot. Cover with fresh water and a pinch of salt and cook until tender but al dente. Depending upon how thick the salsify pieces are this may take 20-30 minutes.
- Drain the water that the lentils were soaking in place them in a
pot. Cover them with water cook them with the added thyme.
- Slice the red onion.
- If using a fresh pineapple, remove the skin and core, then slice the pieces into bite sized pieces. If using canned, drain the pieces.
- When the salsify is tender but al dente, drain and place in a bowl.
- When the lentils have cooked and are soft, but not mushy, drain them and add to the salsify.
- Add the onion rings and most of the chives, reserving a few as garnish.
- Add the prepared pineapple pieces to the salad.
- Make the dressing, and pour over the warm salad. Gently stir to mix.
- Serve a generous amount of the salad on each salad plate or bow.
- Sprinkle a few chive pieces on top and serve the warm salad.