Grilled Vegetables with a Rhubarb and Mango Salsa
We are right at the peak of rhubarb season and our rhubarb plants have been giving us wonderful stalks to enjoy. The mixture of rhubarb with mango, jalapeño, lime a bit of salt and pepper and a red bell pepper is magical and especially delicious on grilled veggies.
Serving Size: 2
for the salsa:
- 1 mango, peeled, sliced and cut in small pieves
- 4-5 stalks (depending on size) rhubarb, cut in small pieces
- 1 red bell pepper, de-seeded and cut in small pieces
- 1 jalapeno pepper, de-seeded and cut in small pieces
- 1 red onion, cut in small pieces
- ½ lime, juce and zest
- small handful fresh basil, cilantro or coriander, washed and chopped
- 1 tablespoon sweet syrup (agave, maple, elderberry)
veggetables for the grill:
- 1 eggplant, sliced thinly
- 1 zucchini, sliced thinly
- 1 red bell pepper, de-seeded and cut in chunks
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled, sliced and slightly steamed
- 10-12 cherry tomatoes
To make the salsa:
- De-seed the red bell pepper and cut
- into small piecesCut the rhubarb stalks in small pieces.
- Chop the red onion in small pieces.
- Place all the ingredients in medium sized bowl.
- Cut the mango down the middle next to the nut. Do this on both sides of the mango.
- Peel the skin off and cut the mango into small pieces that match the size of the rest of the salsa.
- Add the mango to the rest of the salsa.
- Chop a handful of fresh basil leaves, or coriander or cilantro – which ever you prefer or have.
- Add the chopped herbs to the salsa.
- De-seed and chop the jalapeño in small pieces.
- Squeeze 1/2 a lime over the salsa.
- Add a tablespoon of sweet syrup of your choice.
- Add a pinch of salt.
- Mix well and chill for at least 1/2 an hour before using so the flavours meld.
For the grilled veggetables:
- Peel and slice the sweet potato.
- Place in a steamer for 3-5 minutes to slightly soften, then remove from the steamer.
- Slice the eggplant in thin slices.
- Slice the zucchini in thin slices
- De-seed and cut the red bell pepper in bite-sized pieces.
- Thinly slice the eggplant and zucchini.
- De-seed and cut the red bell pepper into chunks.
- Brush the veggies with a bit of oil and place on the grill.
- Grill lightly on each side and place on a platter to serve.
- Grill the cherry tomatoes last as they take the least time.
- Serve the grilled veggies with the salsa on top of at the side.