Winter Squash, Chickpea Tajine
A tajine is like a Moroccan stew. Often using chickpeas and spices from the area. We have had an abundant year of winter squash and are always happy to find a new recipe that will use them. This was very tasty and we look forward to having it again.
Serving Size: 4
- 1½ pounds winter squash or pumpkin, de-seeded and chopped in bite sized pieces
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 ounces dates, de-seeded and chopped
- 1 (14 opunce) can chickpeas, drained
- 2 teaspoons ginger powder
- 2 teaspoons corinder powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 small red pepper, chopped
- 1 (14 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- salt and pepper to taste
- splash (optional) chilli sauce
- Drain the chickpeas in a colander.
- Chop the onion and mince the garlic
- De-seed and chop the dates
- Chop the coriander
- Heat the oil in a large pot.
- Add the onions and sauté until they begin to soften.
- Add the crushed tomatoes.
- Add the garlic, ginger, coriander and cumin.
- Stir while heating.
- Add the chopped red pepper
- Add the drained chickpeas.
- And add the chopped coriander.
- Add the steamed squash pieces
- Add the dates.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper
- Serve garnished with coriander or cilantro.
- Optionally serve with couscous or flatbread.