Kohlrabi and Apple Slaw with Mint
This year we have had a bounty of apples and a good harvest of kohlrabi. So we have been enjoying this salad a few times. It’s a nice light dressing that is flavorful and accents the apples and kohlrabi nicely.
Serving Size: 4
- 2 cups kohlrabi, peeled and julienned
- 2 cups apples, cored and julienned
- handful sunflower seeds
- handful fresh mint leaves, chopped
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice, divided, 2 for the dressing and 1 with water to keep the apples from browning
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1-2 tablespoon agave syrup
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- mint leaves as garnish
- Peel the kohlrabi and cut into matchstick sized pieces or julienne.
- Prepare a bowl of water with 1 tablespoon of lemon juice.
- Core the apple and slice into matchstick sized pieces.
- Place the apple pieces in the lemon water to prevent browning,
- Wash and remove the leaves from the mint twigs. Chop and add to the kohlrabi.
- Prepare the dressing:
- Mix the olive oil, 2 tablespoons of lemon juice, agave, salt and pepper.
- If desired possibly a drop of peppermint extract if you want a mintier flavor.
- Drain the apple pieces from the lemon liquid and add to the kohlrabi. Toss well to mix.
- Add the sunflower seeds and dressing. Mix well.
- Serve the salad in individual bowls and garnish with mint.