Spicy Broccoli-mango Salad
This is a very nice change to the traditional broccoli salad. The mango gives a very nice sweetness, and the spicy pecans add a bit of hot crunch.
Serving Size: 4
for the salad:
- 1 med. broccoli, cut into florets, steamed al dente
- 1 mango, peeled and de-seeded, cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 red onion, minced
- for the sweet-hot pecans
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- 1/4 cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup pecan pieces
for the dressing:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2-3 tablespoons berry vinegar (raspberry, blackberry or white balsamic vinegar)
- 1 packet Italian seasonings
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cut the broccoli into florets and steam until al dente.
- Immediately place the steamed broccoli in cold water to stop the cooking process.
- Drain, place in a large bowl and allow to further cool.
- Mince the red onion and add to the broccoli.
- Peel and slice the mango and cut into bite sized pieces, add to the broccoli and onion.
- Mix the vinaigrette and pour over the salad to season.
- The salad tastes best when it has had time to season – at least 2 hours.
- Meanwhile, heat a small frying pan, add the sugar and cayenne and mix well.
- Add the pecan pieces and stir as the sugar melts.
- When the pecans are coated.
- Turn the heat off, place the pecan pieces on baking parchment to cool, make sure they are not stuck together.
- Also it is advisable to put some water in the hot pan, and dissolve the bit of sugar that is left before it hardens to the pan.
- Add the pecan pieces shortly before serving.
adapted from http://www.pillsbury.com/(…)