This is a very tasty salad that we recently enjoyed. It’s almost like a Waldorf salad only with the pumpkin.
for the dressing:
- 3 tablespoons walnut oil
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 tablespoon agave or maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon mild grainy mustard
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated
- salt and pepper to taste
for the salad:
- 3 apples, peeled and grated
- 1 & 1/2 cups grated pumpkin
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1 Belgian endive
- 1 radicchio
- To make the dressing, mix the dressing ingredients together in a small bowl and whisk well.
- If you are using an organic pumpkin such as a red kuri or Hokkaido you won’t need to peel the outside, just clean it well. Otherwise, cut a slice from the pumpkin. Remove the seeds and inner strings, and peel the outside off.
- Grate or julienne the pumpkin in fine pieces.
- Peel and grate the apple.
- Mix the apple and pumpkin together and pour some of the dressing over (enough to moisten but not to become too wet and soggy).
- Add the raisins and walnut pieces and mix again. If more dressing is needed, add.
- Clean the Belgian endive, slice the bottom end off and remove the individual leaves to have little “boats or canoes”.
- Clean the radicchio and remove 2 or 3 leaves, depending on the size, slice the leaves in half so they are about the same size as the Belgian endive.
- Fill each leaf with a tablespoon of the salad.
- Serve with the rest of the dressing on the side for individuals to help themselves.