Asparagus, Fava Bean & Smoked Tofu Pasta
This spring meal was delicious. It is very filling, yet not, with a lovely hint of mint.
Serving Size: 4
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large leek, white and most green parts, sliced in rings
- 6 tablespoons dry white wine
- 1 cup soy yogurt
- 2 teaspoons powered vegetable bouillon
- pinch freshly grated nutmeg
- 2-3 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- 1/2 lemon. juiced
- 6 ounces fresh fava beans, shelled
- 12 fresh asparagus, cut diagonally in 1 inch pieces
- 12 ounces bow tie pasta
- 6 ounces smoked tofu pieces
- Blanch the fava beans and remove the outer skins.
- Clean and slice the asparagus.
- Slice the leek in thin rings.
- Chop the mint.
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to boil.
- Heat the olive oil in a medium saucepan.
- Add the sliced leek and saute.
- Add the so yogurt, wine and vegetable bouillon to make the sauce.
- Steam the asparagus pieces until they are al dente.
- Cook the bow tie pasta in the boiling water until al dente.
- Add the chopped mint at the last minute to the sauce and mix well.
- Season to taste with a bit of salt, freshly ground pepper and perhaps a dash of cayenne.
- Add the smoked tofu pieces to the sauce and continue to warm.
- Drain the pasta when it is cooked. Return the pasta to the pot.
- Add the sauce to the pasta and mix well.
- Add the fava beans and asparagus.
- Gently mix the pasta and place in a serving dish.
- We garnished the meal with chopped chives and a few fresh mint leaves.
You can use any vegan meat alternative like fake bacon or tofu hotdogs, instead of the smoked tofu.