This is a very special treat that we enjoyed last weekend. The top is like a coconut macaroon and then a lovely layer of raspberry jam followed with a tasty sweet sort bread on the bottom.
Yield: 10-12 bars depending size
- 2 cups AP flour
- 1 cup sugar (divided)
- 1/2 cup (4 ounces) vegan margarine or coconut oil
- 3 egg replacements (divided) (I used Orgran “No Egg”)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon coconut extract (optional)
- 3/4 cup raspberry am
- 2 cups coconut flakes (unsweetened is fine)
- Preheat the oven to 355 F / 180 C.
- Oil a baking dish (at least a 9 x 12).
- Place the flour and 1/2 cup of sugar in a bowl or food processor and slightly mix.
- Add the coconut oil (hard, not melted) or vegan margarine and process until it is like fine sand.
- Mix 1 egg replacement (my recipe is 1 teaspoon No-Egg with 2 tablespoons water). Once the no-egg is made, add the vanilla flavoring and add to the dough.
- Process to form a ball of dough. You may need to add 1 or 2 more tablespoons of water to get the dough to stick together.
- Press the dough into the oiled baking dish.
- Place in the oven and bake for 15-20 minutes or until lightly golden.
- While the bottom of the bars is baking, mix up the other 2 egg replacements.
- Beat to a light foam.
- Add the other 1/2 cup of sugar and the coconut extract if using. Continue beating to a foam.
- Gently fold in the 2 cups of coconut.
- When the bottom of the bars has been baked for 15-20 minutes, remove from the oven.
- Spread the 3/4 cup raspberry jam over the warm dough.
- Place the coconut mixture on top and evenly spread or pat over the top.
- Place in the oven to bake at 355 F (180 C) for 25 minutes or until the coconut has turned lightly golden-brown.
- Remove from the oven and allow to completely cool.
- Cut into bars and enjoy.