Vegan Broccoli Quesadillas with Apricot-Carrot Sauce
This as a delicious lunch that we enjoyed today. The recipe could also be used as finger foods at a party or as an appetizer in smaller portions.
Serving Size: 4
Yield: 8 quesadillas
for the quesadillas:
- 8 flour tortillas
- 2 cups broccoli florets cooked and blanched
- 1/2-3/4 cup grated non-dairy cheese
- 1 cup tomato/chili sauce (see below)
- oil for cooking
- chives or slices of spring onion as optional garnish
for the tomato/chili sauce:
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 1/4 Thai chili sauce
for the apricot-carrot sauce:
- 3 medium large carrots, peeled
- 16 dried apricots
- 1/2 lemon, freshly juiced
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon sunflower or cooking oil
- 1 tablespoon ginger, peeled and minced
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon taco seasoning
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- salt ad pepper to taste
- dash of cayenne or chili flakes
to make the apricot-carrot sauce:
- Chop the onion and peel and chop carrots.
- Heat the oil in a medium sauce pan.
- Add the onions and carrots and sauté lightly.
- Peel and mince or grate the ginger and add to the carrots and onions.
- Add the water.
- Cut the apricots into pieces and add to the carrots and onions.
- Bring the heat down to simmer.
- Add the seasonings and lemon juice and simmer until the carrots, onions and apricots are all soft.
- Puree the mixture to a smooth sauce.
- Season to taste.
- Keep the sauce warm on a low heat.
to make the tomato/chili sauce and filling:
- Mix the ketchup and Thai chili sauce in a medium bowl.
- Prepare the broccoli by cooking and blanching (plunging the cooked broccoli into cold water).
- Grate the non-dairy cheese.
to make the quesadillas:
- Heat a lightly oiled skillet.
- Spread some of the tomato-chilli sauce on 1/2 of a flour tortilla.
- Add a generous amount of broccoli (about 1/4 cup).
- Top with some grated non-dairy cheese and fold the tortilla in half.
- Place the tortilla in the skillet and cook until lightly browned.
- Flip the tortilla over and cook on the other side until lightly browned.
- When done, remove from the skillet and place on a plate.
- Continue until all the quesadillas are prepared.
- Serve the quesadillas with some of the apricot-carrot sauce and garnished with some chopped chives or spring onion tops.