We’ve always enjoyed pea and rice salads, but made this one as a new variation. It was very tasty with the spinach and cilantro pesto.
Serving Size: 4
- 2 cups frozen peas, thawed
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 2-3 spring onion, finely sliced
for the pesto:
- 2 cups spinach washed and lightly steamed
- 1 bunch cilantro leaves, washed and chopped
- 1/3 cup walnuts
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- Combine the cooked rice and thawed peas in a large bowl.
- Wash the spinach and remove and big stems.
- Lightly steam or sauté the spinach and place in a blender.
- Add the lemon juice, sesame oil and olive oil and puree to a smooth mixture.
- Once the mixture is smooth, add the walnuts and garlic and puree once more.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Spoon the pesto onto the peas to your preferred amount. We like quite a flavorful salad, so used 4-5 tablespoons of pesto. There was still a nice amount left over to use as a dip.
- Mix the pesto evenly.
- Chop the spring onions, white and green parts and mix into the salad, reserving a few pieces to top off as garnish.
- Place the salad in the refrigerator to cool until ready to serve.
- To serve the salad, place in a bowl and garish with the rest of the spring onion pieces. We enjoyed this salad along with 2 others on a hot summer’s night.