This is an awesome salad that we enjoyed last weekend when we had a small party with friends. It is healthy, hearty and flavorful.
for the salad:
- 1 cup barley
- pinch salt
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 head cauliflower, cut in florets
- 1 15 ounce jar giant butter beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 scallions, sliced
- 1/4 cup parsley, washed and minced
for the dressing:
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon mild grainy mustard
- 1-2 teaspoons sweetener
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Place the barley in a medium saucepan.
- Add the water and a pinch of salt.
- Bring to a boil, then turn down the heat and simmer for 20-30 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and place a lid on the pan to allow the barley to further absorb the liquid.
- Cut the cauliflower into florets and steam al dente.
- When the cauliflower has cooked, plunge into ice cold water to stop the cooking process.
- Drain the cauliflower and allow the moisture to evaporate in a colander.
- Drain and wash the giant beans.
- Place the olive oil, lemon juice and mustard in a bowl and whisk to blend to make the dressing.
- Add the sweetener, and black pepper to the dressing and season to taste.
- Slice the scallions – the white and most of the green parts.
- Mince the parsley.
- Fluff the barley and place in a large salad bowl.
- Add the drained beans and cauliflower.
- Add the scallions and pour the dressing over the top.
- Mix well.
- Put a plate on top of the bowl and place i the refrigerator to cool and the seasonings to meld their flavors.
- Shortly before serving take the salad out of the refrigerator and bring to room temperature.
- Add the parsley and mix well.
The salad tastes best if it has had tome for the flavors to blend. We made the salad in the morning to enjoy at dinnertime.